Tuesday, March 20, 2007

mariefrench.etsy.com-my new store





It's funny I have been trying to put together a web store for at least three years. I have talked to many web designers, and web site owners...and the reactions good and bad. Some of the comments have been-"It's not worth the money" "Too many ways to get lost", "Good only for promo", "The web is like a business card", "Use it only to show others what your products are".
These are all thoughts I thought myself and for the fee of $2000.00 outlay to set up a site, and at least $24.95+ per month to put in a search engine, it was looking as if it would never be a reality for this mixed media artist.
Alas came Etsy.com. A web mall for artists and anything handmade.LOVE, LOVE,Love it!
So if you have been dreaming of putting up your arts and crafts, and have wanted a webstore-Go to Etsy.
A little about my store.
I have always been drawn to create spiritual art. I have an intense need for the work around me, the jewelry that adorns, the pieces I use to have a spiritual connection because I feel it keeps my thoughts lifted higher, and in this day and age who doesn't need their thoughts lifted higher. So I have consistently created art that reflects this soul need. Even the workshops I teach, and the art lessons I teach the kids have a spiritual component. Spirit to me is my foundation and all I do I hope to grow from this foundation-even this blog.
So now you know why I make this kind of art and adornment, let me explain the quirky situation that brought about the store, and jewelry making. There was synchronicity in finding an old remedy book on one of my hunting and gathering expeditions. I found it in a dusty corner of a thrift store, and well, I took one look and knew it was mine. It wasn't until I started reading it that I found it's true relevance. It was from the 1800's and it listed healing lotions, potions, healing gems, and altar necklace recipes...."HMM", I said now this is right down my alley. So of course the first healing necklace I made was for my sister who had staff infection in her foot...speedy recovery was had! Now it might not have been the necklace but the refocusing on healing that brought about the recovery. But there was still healing,Who knows?. I wear one of my necklaces that is entitled: milagros/miracles, I feel the sustaining infinite blessing me every day. These necklaces and bracelets serve as a way to refocus-I guess sort of like wearing prayer beads, or a rosary. So I look at these pieces as modern adaptations of the rosary and mala. I use vintage religious medals, crosses-like a casting of an 18th century french Joan of Arc cross, and healing gemstones as discussed in the remedies of the book for a specific outcome, old charms, milagros, and found objects that are specific to each need. So if you have a particular need and would like a special healing altar necklace or bracelet leave a message in comments, or go to mariefrench.etsy.com. Best way to look up the shop is mariefrench in the first column, then go to the column next to it, scroll down to username and press search. Some of the other items I have put up on the site are my prayer vessel sculptures. I'll show you pictures and give you directions on how to make them on another post. I'll also be showing my retablos, icons, and inspired tees. So there will be lots and lots to see in the shop..Would love to hear your feedback, and any ideas you might have. Blessings. XOXO marie
PS Here are some pictures-some have not been uploaded to Etsy yet. I'll try to get them up today. Look at Etsy because there are other pieces there that aren't here and visa versa....

No comments: